Saturday, December 26, 2009

Stanley Christmas update

I had a lovely Christmas present yesterday, Stanley ate and had a good day with us :-)

Stanley slept a lot during the day, but we had a sucessful sub-q fluid session in the morning. This was my second time EVER sticking a needle into a living thing. My first time was Christmas Eve, my stomach was one big knot all day, knowing what I was facing. It went pretty well for my first attempt. The clinic forgot to tell me about the valve that needs to be opened and closed. In the beginning, there wasn't any fluid flowing; but a friend told me about the valve and we had a good session. (The clinic sent Stanley home for Christmas with an full IV bag, I need to get fluids under his skin once or twice a day, depending upon how much he also drinks during the day)

Stanley perked up in the evening at my sister's house. He had a nice meal of rice, water/gravy and a bit of turkey. He sat up and sniffed around at his different environment.

Since his is one of the cart kids, I started the sub-q fluids in his two haunches, where he has less feeling. I needed to stack the odds in my favour for our first couple of sessions. This morning we had to move up to the shoulder area. I got the needle in ok, but he could feel the fluids more, wiggled about and the needle came out before a full session. That is ok; I will do another half session tonight and then we will be on evening sessions, in preparation for me going back to work. Mornings are too busy to try fluids then.

Monday is "decision" day, if this course of treatment will support his kidneys and give him a quality of life. One of the key factors will be if we can keep him eating. IF his bloods tests are acceptable, then we will be doing these treatments every day. Such a small thing to do, if it gives my boy more (quality) time with us.

Who knows, he may be back in his cart soon :-) for that picture that I haven't taken yet to show off his new wheelchair.

Whatever the outcome, I have to thank several quiet angels. The vet clinic has received several donations towards Stanley's vet bill. Each angel has sworn the clinic to secrecy. I can make guesses, but don't know for sure who all has been so generous to my boy. Thank you is inadequate. Without these extra payments towards his bill, he would not have this chance. Thank you too to Dr. Makawol. All the clinic staff went above and beyond for Stanley while he was in hospital. As well, Dr. M. gave us a "holiday discount" on the hospital stay.

I am overwhelmed and humbled by the generosity and love shown to us this past week. Thank you is inadequate, but all that I have. Thank you and may God bless all of Stanley's quiet angels.

Merry Christmas everyone and wishing everyone health and happiness for 2010.

1 comment:

Taffy said...

Happy New Year! I hope you were able to enjoy Christmas and that Stanley is still doing well. It is so hard when our babies are sick. We are so sorry to hear about Daisy Mae and we will keep you in our prayers. Thanks for being our friends this year and we look forward to the new year with you.
Snuggles,
Twix

Followers