Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The circles of life

I named this blog "life with 3 special dachshunds" when we were only 3, each with a different type of special need. Then Daisy Mae was returned and Stanley came into our lives. Then it was life with 3 dachshunds with a specific special need, plus "the boys".

Life has circled back; Daisy Mae left us December 18/09 and my sweet boy Stanley left us this past Saturday, January 23/10. Again it is life with 3 special dachshunds.

Stanley has changed me forever. His pawprints will always be on my heart. Quiet, dignified, with a charm that drew people to him at first sight, he was one of those "special" furkids. He forced me to face fears and grow, to give him his fluids. Never did I ever think I would stick a needle into a living thing. Love for him was greater than my fears. Stanley's legacy is that skill. Some place, somewhere, maybe on an EARS deployment, I believe I will need this skill again to help another animal - Stanley's gift to that furkid.

I am glad that I was able to track down his first family and they were with us at the end. Stanley did recognize them and wagged his tail. However hard it was to make that drive to them, knowing what was coming, I am glad that I was able to give him and them that last meeting.

I miss him so much.

Dogspeed my little Snorey Bear

5 comments:

Charlotte said...

Stanley will forever be in our hearts!

(((hugs)) Oskar, Schatzi & Xena

PamK said...

Stanley was a very special dog. Though I never had the opportunity to meet him in person, I feel as if I knew him well. He had an amazing spirit and touched so many of us with his gentle soul. Margaret, I know that his life and passing has affected you deeply and it was a wonderful quality of life that you gave him for the time that he was with you. Bless you for all that you gave Stanley and for ensuring that his previous family was able to say goodbye to him as well.

Taffy said...

I'm so very sorry to hear that. Stanley knew how much you loved him. The decisions you made for him were very selfless and he knows. It is very hard to lose one of our babies, we know. We will be praying for you during this time.
Snuggles and hugs,
Twix and Mom

Ruby and Penny said...

We are so, so sorry to hear about Stanley.
You showed him so much love.
Run free Stanley.
Love Ruby & Penny

Daniela said...

I am new to your blog and fell in love. I had a fondness for anyone who loves and rescues dachshunds. I am so sorry for your loss. I don't think it ever gets easy. I have 3 dachshunds of my own and have a dachshund rescue. So, unfortunately, I know about loss. I wish you well in all your doxie endevours. Keep your chin up.

Daniela

Followers